Thursday, February 19, 2009

wondering...

As I read our chapters yesterday, I came across this set of verses:

Moses slaughtered the ram and took some of its blood and put it on the lobe of Aaron's right ear, on the thumb of his right hand and on the big toe of his right foot. Moses also brought Aaron's sons forward and put some of the blood on the lobes of their right ears, on the thumbs of their right hands and on the big toes of their right feet. Then he sprinkled blood against the altar on all sides. Leviticus 8:23-24

After reading them, I couldn't help but wonder why on earth Moses would do such a thing. So I checked it out and this is what I found.

This act emphasized the role of the priestly office, with the blood stressing the ties to the sacrificial system. The priest's basic function was mediation between God and his people. To do this effectively, he needed ears that could hear the words of God and the needs of his people, hands ready to do God's bidding, and feet ready to take him where he was needed. (p207, NLT Study Bible.)

Curiosity satisfied.

This time.

1 comment:

  1. That is funny you noticed that, and I was wondering also as I read. Another example of He knows our needs before we even ask. I saw the connection of WHERE he placed the blood but wondered why it wasn't oil that he anointed them with. Thanks for "the rest of the story"! Love, A

    ReplyDelete