Thursday, February 12, 2009

Treasured...

I appreciate each one of your prayers on our behalf as we once again battle some ridiculous illness. (one of the questions I'll have on my list when I arrive in heaven will be what purpose viruses serve. Because surely they must serve a purpose.)

One thing that I am trying to do differently this year as I read through my bible is to check more background and reference material. I want to try and see things from every angle. I don't want to miss a thing. (working in a christian book store makes it a lot easier to get my hands on all kinds of material. Woo hoo!) I recently checked out the Holman Old Testament Commentaries and I am absolutely thrilled with the material that they provide. They are set up like a Sunday school lesson with illustrations, breakdowns of the text, summaries and so forth. I think I'll be adding them to my list of "must haves."

Max Anders says that Exodus is a redemption story. Not just the story of the Israelites making an "exodus" from Egypt, but a picture of a loving God hastening to save His chosen people. This appeals to me on so many levels. As a person with "issues", nothing thrills my heart more than when scripture uses words like "treasured possession, delighted, chosen." Words like these add balm to a heart that has been hurt more times than I would care to count. I hold scripture like Neither the pillar of cloud by day nor the pillar of fire by night left it's place in front of the people (13:22) and how I carried you on eagles' wings and brought you to myself...if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession (19:4) close to me. It brings me such comfort on difficult, complicated days. (and it brings a smile to my face on the rather ordinary days as well.)

I hope you know how God sees you. I pray that you realize that you too are His treasured possession. How He loves each one of us! I encourage you to keep reading. I know that we have some...um...interesting passages ahead of us as we listen to descriptions of cubits, curtains, and rings.
***
I am taking a few days off work to a) begin planning my daughter's wedding (we are wedding dress shopping today) and b) celebrate our 22nd wedding anniversary on Valentine's Day. I am planning on catching up on your posts these next few days as well. If you have a moment or two to spare, please remember our city in your prayers. We finally got every one's power back on from the ice storm only to have a wind storm sweep through and bring down more trees and power lines. Sigh. We like the dark. It encourages napping.

3 comments:

  1. I just lost my comment. I am praying for you all on several levels, your health, your heat and lights in your homes, and the celebration of 22 years! Congratulations. Hope you're having fun with Jessi today! Love, Annette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you so much!

    Thanks so much for your posts. They really speak to me.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm praying for you and hoping you are feeling much better by now. The dress is amazing. Happy 22nd Anniversary! What a special day to get married. Enjoy your time together. Love is in the air. I love that... "Treasured Possession"!
    Much Love to you and Josh!
    Angie xoxo

    ReplyDelete