Sunday, February 22, 2009

living holy

This is one of those weeks where you wonder what on earth you might get out of the scriptures. And yet, if you continue to seek...there are gems here.

First, you have to understand that I have a unique sense of humor. So I was tickled to read that "All the fat is the Lord's" in Lev 3:16. Makes me feel a little better about storing fat for the winter.

Then there was the whole "scapegoat" thing. (The goat will carry on itself all their sins...The man who releases the goat as a scapegoat... Lev 16:20,26) I don't know if that's where the origin of the word came from but I felt kind of bad for the poor goat.

I also found it interesting that not only did Moses set up the entire Tabernacle (Ex 40) but that he was responsible for anointing the Tabernacle and everything in it and then Aaron and his sons too. (Lev. 8) When I first read the passages I considered it as a burden...but after thinking about it for a while, I've decided that it was an honor. A visible example of the relationship between Moses and God. Can you imagine God entrusting us with a task like that? My mind chants "I'm not worthy" over and over. And of course, I am not. Nor was Moses. Yet God didn't just use him, He chose him. Just as He continues to choose and use us today.

As I read through the remaining chapters, I was thinking about all the work that went into being God's people. It seemed to me that there were rules for everything. (and tell me honestly, did you wonder like I did if anyone was ever "clean"?) Then, I had a mini-epiphany. I realized that I was probably a lot more comfortable accepting all the rules and requirements that God put forth in order for me to be cleansed from my sin than I might be accepting the free gift of His Son. Does that make any sense? After all these years I still feel so unworthy of His grace and mercy. And of course I am. So I find myself trying to "pay" for it. Or feeling so unworthy that I am ashamed to call upon Him or turn to Him. Sigh. I wonder if that's what reading these chapters is really about. For me, anyway. Maybe He's trying to get me to look at Him in a different light.

The remaining verses serve as reminders to me. Too many times I forget whose I am and what I am supposed to be doing. My desire for this year is to be more focused on Him, to see His Word in new and marvelous ways, and to apply it to my life.

I am the Lord your God. Keep yourselves holy for me because I am holy. Leviticus 11:44

I am the Lord who brought you out of Egypt to be your God; you must be holy because I am holy. Leviticus 11:45


Press on...

8 comments:

  1. That is so true Karen...I find myself thinking I have to "pay for it" or qualify for it as well. I drive my kids nuts when I quote Leviticus to them, especially the part about, "Thou shall not get a tattoo"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I woke up at 3:00 in the morning one night this week and I was thinking about all of the rules and regulations I've been reading about! I can't imagine having to be put to death for my sins. I deserve to be punished and would have if I lived back then. I was also reminded that my sins are not any worse than someone committing adultery. It's only by the grace of God that He died on the cross for me.
    Press on... In His Love,
    Angie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. The real message I took to heart this week is all about being the holy person God called me to be...

    Doesn't seem like there are many sermon messages on holiness out there as there are other facets of Christian life.

    My post will be up soon...I hope, had a wave of melancholy hit a little while ago.

    Love, Annette H

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to confuse you with my name. I tried to start this other blog for this year's readings. Feel free to visit there if you want to read my insights. Thanks!
    Angie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if the reason we don't hear a lot of sermons on being called to holiness has to do with people's perceptions of the OT. I know I used to avoid it like the plague (no pun intended) until last year. Now I can't imagine not reading it. It is such a clear picture of how much God loves and pursues us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that about the fat!!! I also noticed the scapegoat thing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. God loves us so much. I agree, He had to show us there was no other way than for Him to send His Son as a perfect eternal sacrifice. Now, we see grace often as either so cheap or so unattainable by our own stipulations we place on it. God provided the only Way. Love reading everyone's thoughts. Bless you all, Annette

    ReplyDelete
  8. My thoughts on our reading is how sick to death of blood Aaron must've been. I feel the weight of the law pressing in all around me. I long for the external blessings God talks about giving from "simple" obedience yet, it seems that if I'd been there I would've never experienced cleanliness!! My poor family would never eat, all our animals would be slaughtered as sacrifices!!

    My response is a new love affair with grace. A new appreciation for the Lamb. Deep delight in the internal blessings we have in relationship with Christ.

    And, deep, blessed relief that we simply "are" holy because He is.

    ReplyDelete