Sunday, February 15, 2009

irrelevant?

Calling all theological minds...anyone who has any scriptural background. There's something I need to know. Seriously...


He said to them, "This is what the Lord commanded: 'Tomorrow is to be a day of rest, a holy Sabbath to the LORD. Ex 16:23

Bear in mind that the LORD has given you the Sabbath; that is why on the sixth day He gives you bread for two days. Everyone is to stay where he is on the seventh day; no one is to go out. So the people rested on the seventh day. Ex 16:29-30

"Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.
Ex 20:8-11

Then the LORD said to Moses, "Say to the Israelites, 'You must observe my Sabbaths. This will be a sign between me and you for the generations to come, so you may know that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. " 'Observe the Sabbath, because it is holy to you. Anyone who desecrates it must be put to death; whoever does any work on that day must be cut off from his people. For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day must be put to death. The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from work and rested.'" Ex 31:12-17

For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a Sabbath of rest to the LORD. Whoever does any work on it must be put to death.
Ex 35:2

Are these scriptures irrelevant? Are we allowed to pick and choose scriptures that we prefer? Do we get to choose the ones that seem like they are easy or don't interfere with our lifestyles? (although after completing Kelly Minter's No Other Gods study last summer, it would seem that keeping the Sabbath might be one of the easier commandments to keep.)

Does anybody have anything to offer on this subject? I can promise you that these are not the only scriptures we will read concerning the Sabbath this year.

3 comments:

  1. I have wondered the very same thing. Do we just pick and choose which verses we should apply to our lives? I find I skip over so many that don't. I'm anxious to come back to read more comments to see what you all think! I know His Word is 100% truth!
    Thanks for making me think!
    Love,
    Angie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had this discussion last year in Sunday school. I pointed out that I am a nurse and that taking every Sunday off is very much not an option for me. Then the youth minister pointed out that she was essentially in the same situation. I know times have changed since that was written, but that IS still a commandment like you pointed out. I guess a good option would be to pick another day of the week and have it be your Sabbath, a day of devotion and worship. I have done that occasionally. I don't know about you, but in this day and age it is HARD to do that on a weekly basis. I will be curious to see your other readers' responses. Great food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend who is a priest takes his Sabbath on Tues. He spends the day in worship, the Word, and prayer.

    I think we are called to do the same thing. Sunday should be set apart as a holy day...am I able to do this every Sunday...NO!!! I am trying to make it an entire day about the Lord, resting spiritually in Him as well as resting physically.

    ReplyDelete