Saturday, February 14, 2009

Glory



When you make the offering, I, the Lord, will meet you there and speak to you. I will meet with the people of Israel there, and that place will be holy because of my glory. Exodus 29:42-43 NCV




For years I have pondered the concept of God's glory. Through scripture and song, I have puzzled over it's meaning. Recently I came across an article in the NLT Study Bible that put things into a better perspective. Here's an excerpt:




Glory has a rather different connotation in the Old Testament than it does in the English usage. The English word suggests something thin and passing--the glory of a sunset, the glory of last year's winning team. The root idea of the Hebrew word for glory is "heaviness" or "solidity." It connotes "significance" or "worth," the absolute opposite of "vanity" or "nothingness." When God's glory appears, it is not merely a bright light or a glittering cloud, but a visible expression of His absolute reality.




God's glory is the manifestation of His person, His power, and His majesty. God's glory may be revealed in nature, such as in a thunderstorm or in the plagues sent on the Egyptians. God's glory can also be a unique manifestation, such as the revelation on Mount Sinai. At the dedication of the Tabernacle and Solomon's Temple, God's glory filled those structures indicating His approval of them and that His presence would now reside there.




To give glory to God means to speak or act in a manner that acknowledges who God is. (167)




I have given a lot of thought lately about whether or not my life reflects what I purport to believe, particularly in this day and age. It would be terribly easy to walk through each day paralyzed with a spirit of fear. However, if I truly believe that God is sovereign, my life needs to reflect that. I suspect that my days would be better served learning to give glory to God in all my circumstances.

Be cheerful no matter what; pray all the time; thank God no matter what happens. This is the way God wants you who belong to Christ Jesus to live. 1 Thess 5:16-18

1 comment: