Sunday, May 17, 2009

Psalms

It's very easy for my emotions to be swayed by difficulty. I tend to be empathetic in nature so my feelings often control my outlook. Because of these things, I have been a little blue lately. It's hard to listen to the news, have a conversation, read a paper, or even look around my community without feeling fear, sadness, anger, frustration, irritation, disgust, outrage and a host of other emotions.

Then there's the Psalms.

like Psalm 16...
I have set the LORD always before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. (8)

Psalm 9...
The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. Those who know Your name will trust in You, for You, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you. (9-10)

Psalm 33...
We wait in hope for the LORD; He is our help and our shield. In Him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in His holy name. (20-21)

Psalm 37...
Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for Him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes. If the LORD delights in a man's way, He makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with His hand. (7,23-24)

Psalm 40...
I waited patiently for the LORD; He turned to me and heard my cry. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Blessed is the man who makes the LORD his trust. (1,3,4)

Psalm 112...
Blessed is the man who fears the LORD, who finds great delight in His commands. He will have no fear of bad news, his heart is steadfast, trusting in the LORD. (1,7)

Psalm 121...
I lift my eyes to the hills--where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. The LORD watches over you...The LORD will keep you from all harm--He will watch over your life. (1,2,5,7)

Psalm 143...
O LORD, hear my prayer, listen to my cry for mercy. In Your faithfulness and righteousness, come to my relief. Let the morning bring me word of Your unfailing love for I have put my trust in You. Show me the way I should go for to you I lift up my soul. (1,8)

Psalm 73...
Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides You. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (25,26)

I suppose it's no coincidence that my last two memory verses have come from these Psalms. And I also know it's no coincidence that these were the verses set down in September of 2008 for me to read this particular week.

God knew exactly where I'd be and what I'd need to claim this week.

How can I not adore Him? Give thanks to Him?

And while I am human (and swayed too often by emotion), hopefully in the days ahead, I will remember what I've read and what I've hidden in my heart. And they will bring comfort once again.

5 comments:

  1. Being that I am swayed by emotion as well, what I love about the Psalms it they have the ability to bring me to a place of praise, adoration and thankfulness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also too easily swayed by emotions and I also hope that I will remember what I've read and keep the Psalms in my heart to remind me that He is always faithful even when I am not!

    Blessings
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. These verses from the Psalms are a balm, a healing, a hope, a trust. In just a few words, they touch the deep places in us that cry out. Thanks for sharing these beautiful verses today. It's always a joy to walk through His Word with you. Love, Annette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure if you're doing Wednesday prayers, but my heart is certainly heavy this evening for several loved ones. Bev got some bad news today--they did not get clear borders on the tumor and cancer was found in her lymph nodes. She will need more surgery, and I'm not sure what else, but she needs prayers for healing and the peace of His presence. My dearest friend, Cathy, had her first chemo treatment today and will lose her hair by this time next week. She has Stage IV cancer. And my sweet daughter called tonight wanting to drop out of school and not even take her final tomorrow. Please pray for her confidence and strength, and just for a hug from God as her mom is so far away. I am so thankful for you. Love, Annette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post...

    Love, Annette H

    ReplyDelete