Monday, May 25, 2009

Psalm 119

It may come as a shock to you, but I am not always a big fan of rules. I think I've mentioned before that I tend to drive a little too fast (because I know how fast I should go) and more often than not, I look for "gray" areas in the rules as an excuse to do whatever I want. (I once had a boss tell me that "rules were guidelines that we want people to follow." I think I took it to heart!) That's why I used to struggle with Psalms like 119 that tent to wax poetic about their love of the law. How on earth could anyone "delight" in the law?

Then I read a book.

And I looked at "the law" a little differently.

The book is called "Sitting at the feet of Rabbi Jesus." The statement that caught my attention was this: "For them (the Jewish people) the Torah was not an onerous rulebook or a vast catalog of laws as we might think, but a gift from God that taught them how to live." (25)

A gift from God? Yeah, I can totally get that. So, with that in mind, it came as no surprise to me last week that these were some of my favorite verses:

Blessed are they who keep his statutes and seek him with all their heart. You have laid down precepts that are to be fully obeyed. (3-4)

I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. (10-11)

I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word. (15-16)

Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law. (18)

Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight. (35)

Turn my eyes away from worthless things, preserve my life according to your word. (37)

My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life. (50)

You are my portion, O LORD; I have promised to obey your words. I have sought your face with all my heart; be gracious to me according to your promise. (57-58)

May those who fear you rejoice when they see me, for I have put my hope in your word. (74)

My soul faints with longing for your salvation, but I have put my hope in your word. (81)

Great peace have they who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble. (166)

May your hand be ready to help me, for I have chosen your precepts. (173)

1 comment:

  1. That sheds new light for me on rules. I struggle with a somewhat rebellious spirit and the very word law makes me step up and take notice as to its importance and if I agree with it. As a gift from God, though, it takes on a new dimension of protection and provision. Thanks for sharing the insightful quote as well as some beautiful verses from Ps. 119.

    ReplyDelete