Sunday, January 18, 2009

Week 3:Genesis 29-45



Wow! What a week! We have romance, confusion, jealousy, intrigue, mystery, anger, sorrow, compassion...the whole gamut of emotions. I don't know about you, but this week was somewhat like riding on a roller coaster.

I thought we had one of the most romantic verses in the Bible this week.

So Jacob served seven years to get Rachel, but they seemed like only a few days to him because of his love for her. Genesis 29:20

Doesn't that just make your heart sigh? Oh, the beauty and poetry of those words. Of course, the very next verse had me shaking my head and thinking, "what a man" when it says, "Then Jacob said to Laban, 'Give me my wife. My time is completed, and I want to lie with her.' (29:21) (Note to men: sometimes it's better to just keep your mouth shut.)

And here's where my confusion sets in. I honestly don't get why Jacob didn't know that it was Leah in that tent. Especially if he loved Rachel so much. I'm guessing that it never occurred to him that it would be anybody but Rachel. Instead, the deceiver is deceived. How ironic. Of course, we know how the story goes.

Jacob loved Rachel.

Poor Leah was second best.

At best.

So, she kept giving Jacob sons, each time hoping this would be the time that he noticed her. Still looking for love in all the wrong places. I was delighted to see that she finally determined, "This time I will praise the LORD." (29:35) It serves as a reminder that I too often look for approval in people rather than my Heavenly Father. (and honestly, during chapters 29 & 30, did anybody else think that Jacob was a very busy man? Or wonder if he ever just wanted to retire to his own tent some nights, one without wives or maidservants?)


Another thing that caught my eye and generated much discussion this week was Jacob calling God "the Fear of Isaac" (31:42&53) I checked every commentary and study note that I could find and finally came up with the answer that basically this is another name for God. While I don't find this answer totally satisfactory, most explanations tend to speculate as to the reason why so I suppose I'll be marking this down in my notebook of questions to ask in heaven.

I love the fact that God continues to meet with imperfect people. Jacob is portrayed in such a negative light sometimes and yet, God still had use for him. I see this as a great hope for one such as myself. One who fails. One who sins. One who is a slow learner. And yet, I rejoice in Jacob's words, "...God, who answered me in the day of my distress and who has been with me wherever I have gone." (35:3)

Then, there is Joseph. I love Joseph. I love the example that he sets forth. Here is a boy/man who faces such difficult circumstances yet he is faithful to God. Never does he blame God for his trials. Honestly, it doesn't even appear that he sat around, moping and complaining about his brothers either. (While there is no scripture to state that, scripture does state that Joseph was responsible, hard working and trustworthy. I'm pretty sure if I had been in his sandals, I would have spent so much time wallowing in my circumstances that I wouldn't have had time to take care of my own household, let alone anyone else's.) Even after Potiphar's wife lies about him and he is thrown into prison, he is still faithful. And when he is brought before Pharaoh to interpret his dreams, who does he give the credit? (I cannot do it," Joseph replied to Pharaoh, "but God will give Pharaoh the answer he desires. 41:16) I'm afraid that I would have wanted to do whatever I could to gain Pharaoh's favor and get out of that prison, even if it meant elevating myself in some one's eyes and taking credit that was not due me. (Scripture sometimes shows us the ugly side of ourselves, doesn't it?)

As the story moves on, Joseph marries and has sons. He names one Manasseh because "God has made me forget all my trouble and all my father's household" and the other, Ephraim because "God has made me fruitful in the land of my suffering." I'm afraid I'd be thinking up names like "revenge" and "avenger". Yet Joseph accepted his difficult circumstances and he was content. (and I believe this was pleasing to God.) Ultimately, Joseph was smart enough to know that "it was not you who sent me here, but God." (45:8) One of my favorite passages is this: Joseph replied, "Don't be afraid. Do I act for God? Don't you see, you planned evil against me but God used those same plans for my good, as you see all around you right now—life for many people." (50:19-20 The Message) And once again I am reminded that rarely do I see the entire picture...honestly, I may never see the entire picture. But it doesn't really matter. What matters is that God knows what the picture is supposed to look like. And that's good enough for me.

I pray that the Word has worked in your heart this week. Please let me know what the LORD is showing you. I'm praying for you all!

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful post dear Sister! So many riches in the text this week. How can people not believe the Word of God is alive and active....

    Love, Annette

    ReplyDelete
  2. This WAS a roller coaster ride, so rich with detail. And so many manipulative women and men. When we see it in writing, it seems so obvious, but I know I try to control my circumstances and orchestrate them to my benefit. I would love to believe I let it all rest in His better plan. As ugly as these look to me, I can't imagine how God must abhor this, and yet, mercifully, He forgives and uses us again.
    And Joseph's words to his brothers break my heart each time I read them. You're right. I don't think he did mope around. I think he prayed and knew God better because he needed Him so desperately. Here is where despair in circumstances changes to desperation for God. Much better than manipulation, and our merciful God sees and answers with a far better plan--one that saved many lives and prospered the seed of Abraham.

    I just love reading where your heart's been touched each week, Karen. Many of the same things move me, and yet you always add another dimension for me.

    Love you,
    Annette G

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think one thing God spoke to me about was His Presence---He is in this place---do I know it?? Or will I try to attach to strong people, strong ideas, strong success? Or will I see the Face of God in Who and what He has provided? Thanks for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am amazed by the craziness in this book. These people are a mess!!! :-)
    Better than a novel...
    Although I am short on comments, I am keeping up with my readings (and listening...bought the entire Bible on mp3 at Lifeway last week, but I can't get I-tunes to recognize the format yet...so I'm just running it on my computer).
    Thanks Karen for the recap and insight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joseph's story once again reminded me to seek God in the midst of the circumstances instead of just frantically wanting out of the circumstances. That is my first response and sometimes He honors that, but nine times out of ten He has so much to show me if I will just keep my eyes on Him!

    No post this week for me as I read on the run most days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how Beth Moore says that we have a drama King! This week was one of those weeks in our reading! Drama! Like you, I loved the verse where it says the seven years only seemed like a few days to Jacob because he loved Rachel. Beautiful!

    Blessings
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your insights, Karen! It's nice that even though I'm not on the same page, I remember from last year. This story is just like a soap opera. One that I look forward to reading... A book I don't want to put down!
    Love you all,
    Angie xoxo

    ReplyDelete