Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Do you ever wonder?

In 1 Kings 11, Solomon has turned his heart from God. (11:4) Verse 9-12 goes on to say, "The Lord became angry with Solomon because his heart had turned away from the LORD, the God of Israel, who had appeared to him twice. Although He had forbidden Solomon to follow other gods, Solomon did not keep the Lord's command. So the Lord said to Solomon, 'Since this is your attitude and you have not kept my covenant and my decrees, which I commanded you, I will most certainly tear the kingdom away from you and give it to one of your subordinates. Nevertheless, for the sake of David your father, I will not do it during your lifetime. I will tear it out of the hand of your son."

As far as I can tell, Solomon did nothing to change his ways after this Word from the Lord. Does anyone but me find this odd?

First of all, I'd like to think that if God had appeared to me twice, I'd make a little more effort to be obedient. I realize that it's a lot easier to maintain that "spiritual" feeling after a "mountain top experience." (anybody else remember camp?) However, I still think that an encounter with God Almighty would mark me forever.

Regardless, I'm fairly certain that if God came back and said, "Child, you've got an attitude that's got to go. Since I was fond of your parents, I'll wait and bring destruction on your children rather than you" I'd sit up and take notice. I'm pretty sure I'd be begging for forgiveness, changing my attitude and asking Him to punish me instead of them. As a mom, I can't even fathom allowing my children to be punished in my place. (and Solomon had to be aware that this wasn't a "time out" punishment. God is saying that He will tear the kingdom from him. That means war, bloodshed and death.)

Interestingly enough, this isn't the only time this happens in scripture. I remember reading about Hezekiah last year and Isaiah telling him the same thing. Except Hezekiah thinks, "will there not be peace and security in my lifetime?" (2 Kings 20:19)

I do not want to be that me focused. My prayer is that I will always be sensitive to God's correction (and my attitude) and that my eyes will not be so focused on myself that I am unable to see the harm that I might be doing others.

Turn my heart toward your statutes
and not toward selfish gain. Turn my eyes away from worthless things;
preserve my life according to your word.
Psalm 119:36-37

But my eyes are fixed on you, O Sovereign LORD;
in you I take refuge
Psalm 141:8

1 comment:

  1. I believe Solomon was his own worst enemy at this point. I can't imagine knowing my punishmnet would be given to my children. Yet, I know the "sins of the father (mother)..." A good reminder to be very careful to be obedient. Love, A

    ReplyDelete