Sunday, March 1, 2009

Leviticus 21 through Numbers 7

One thing I enjoy about Leviticus is the description of the appointed feasts. I've wondered about these and the purpose behind each one for several years. I found a wonderful book that gives a great deal of information about them called The Feasts of the Lord by Kevin Howard and Marvin Rosenthal. Mr. Rosenthal begins the book by saying, "The Hebrew word translated 'feasts' means appointed times. The idea is that the sequence and timing of each of these feasts have been carefully orchestrated by God himself. Each is part of a comprehensive whole. Collectively, they tell a story. These feasts are also called 'holy convocations'; that is, they are intended to be times of meeting between God and man for 'holy purposes.' Since these seven feasts of the Lord are 'appointed times' for 'holy purposes,' they carry with them great sacredness and solemnity." (p.13)

He goes on to say that the first four feasts have been fulfilled in God's prophetic calendar. "Passover speaks of redemption. Messiah, the Passover Lamb, has been slain for us.

Unleavened Bread speaks of sanctification. He was set apart. His body would not decay in the grave.

First fruits speak of resurrection. Death could not hold her Foe. On the third day, Jesus rose triumphantly from the grave. (The Lord's acceptance of the first fruits is an 'earnest' or pledge, on His part of a full harvest. When God accepted the first fruits, they became the guarantee that the rest of the crop would be harvested. p20-21.) We are the rest of the crop, praise God.

The Feast of Weeks speaks of origination. The coming of the Holy Spirit inaugurated the New Covenant and Church Age which the Messiah instituted in the Upper Room. The middle wall of separation between Jews and Gentiles has been broken down. From the two, the Lord is calling out the Church, which is His Body.

Each major event of the Messiah's first coming occurred on the precise date of the appropriate Jewish holiday." (p.23)

I have come to a place of peace about the Sabbath. For the moment. I will continue to pray and seek His will over it but for now, I believe that we are called to treat the Sabbath as a holy day. One that isn't like all the others. One that is "set apart." It is my desire and goal to use the Sabbath to worship, pray, and study the Word. I realize that life will continue to intrude and each Sunday may not be the perfect example of living a Sabbath life but I am committed to trying. "Observe my Sabbaths and have reverence for My sanctuary, I am the Lord. Lev.26:2"

As we entered the book of Numbers, I was fascinated by how God wants to be a part of everything, even down to telling which tribe where to set up each camp. (Numbers 2) By doing this, in my eyes anyway, it shows their importance to Him. Each one had a specific, special place. None were forgotten. And that makes my heart glad.

Ray Stedman, in his book Adventuring through the Bible, says that "Trust is the theme of the book of Numbers. In this book, God dramatically sets forth what is perhaps the hardest lesson any of us has to learn: our need to trust God rather than our own reason. The issue of trust is a major struggle for many Christians. The hardest struggle we have is the same struggle that the Israelites had--the struggle to believe and trust that God is in control, He knows what He is doing and what He's talking about, and He doesn't make mistakes. We struggle to believe that everything that He tells us in His Word is true and that it is for our good. (96)" Oh my, that smacks me upside the head. My issue is often who knows what's best for me. Not that I don't believe that God doesn't know what's best for me, it's just that some of that other stuff looks...appealing. Attractive. Fun. You know, if sin didn't look attractive in the beginning, Satan would have a lot more trouble getting people to fall into those pits. So while I will probably find it easy to sit in judgement of our whiny band of travelers over the next few weeks, I need to remember that I'm really not so different from them.

I want to offer this blessing for each of you as I close out this week's post. I love these scriptures and am happy to run across them in our reading this week. After a difficult few weeks lately, I can think of nothing better than being blessed by the Lord's peace.

The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make His face shine upon you
and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn His face toward you
and give you peace.
Numbers 6:24-26

shalom!

6 comments:

  1. I love that blessing. Thanks for sharing that on the fests. It is amazing how each feast points to an event, some still yet to come, on the Kingdom calendar. God in His infinite wisdom and power, gives us so many signs that point directly to Him. May the Lord bless and keep you...too! Love, Annette G

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found myself longing for the blessings of obedience..."I will walk among you; I will be your God and you will be my people...I broke the yoke of slavery from your neck so you can walk with your heads held high." from Lev. 26

    Walking lighter because he has freed me,
    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have been studying the bible on gateway.com I am in numbers and I love the blessing it has been on of my favorites I use when praying over my kids , I really enjoy coming to these site and reading what you have too say on the same subject,
    we must set time apart to be with him. have a bless day, marina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to let you know that I am well and I finally posted on Numbers 1-7. I loved those chapters.

    Blessings!

    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear from you Sheryl. I'll hop over and check them out as soon as the weather warnings stop screeching.

    ReplyDelete