Monday, March 9, 2009

Is it just me?

Surprisingly enough, I found this weeks readings to be rich in content. (Why does that surprise me? I guess I have these preconceived notions of how dry certain sections of the Bible must be. Silly me.) I found irony, humor, hope, encouragement, inspiration and JESUS this week. I just the Word!

We'll start with the irony. Did anyone see anything...um...ironic about this?

We remember the fish we ate in Egypt at no cost--also the cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions and garlic. Numbers 11:5

Never mind that we had to make bricks without straw, that we had no land of our own, that Pharaoh wanted to kill our babies...by golly, at least we had cucumbers. My soul is shouting, "at no cost?!? Where have you been living?" Then a gentle voice reminds me of how I cling to my sin, to things that aren't the best for me, things that I'm sure no one could replace with anything better. And I'm humbled.

Then there's Balaam and his donkey. Balaam beats his donkey until finally the donkey looks at him and says, "what's up with this?" Then...Balaam answered the donkey. (Numbers 22:29) So tell me, if you had a donkey and you were whopping him upside the head and he turns around and talks to you...are you going to answer him? 'Cause believe me, if that were to happen to me, after I recovered from my fainting spell, I'd be hustling that donkey off to Disney studios or the National Enquirer. I certainly would not be saying, "You have made a fool of me." (I'd be more likely saying, "You have made me rich!"

I also got tickled at the whole quail thing. I realize that God is angry and rightfully so. But honestly, there is some humor in his response. "You will not eat it for just one day or two days, or five, ten or twenty days, but for a whole month--until it comes out of your nostrils and you loathe it--because you have rejected the LORD who is among you, and have wailed before him saying, "Why did we ever leave Egypt?" (Numbers 11:20) Doesn't that just sound like a parent? An exasperated one at that? (which brings to mind a story of my childhood that I will NOT share here.)

Then there's the whole, "Gee, I'm sorry. And since I'm sorry, that should be enough, let's head off to the promised land now" thing. I don't know that I caught the phrase "Nevertheless, in their presumption" (14:44) before. And doesn't that sound like me? After all, I've apologized. Of course there's no need for consequences. I'll just head off now and go do what I think you might want. Now that it's convenient for me. I have to say, every time I get aggravated with the Israelites and their whining pigheadedness, I see myself. Sigh. Which may very well be one of the reasons that the Lord has me reading these verses.

In spite of all of the complaining, anger, disappointment and turmoil, there were some reassuring verses as well. Last month, one of my memory verses was Joel 2:13. I was delighted to see a portion of it here. The LORD is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion. (Numbers 14:18) Oh, how I love those words!

I love His description of Caleb as well: But because my servant Caleb has a different spirit and follows me wholeheartedly...(Numbers 14:24). What a confirmation of his character. It's also a reminder to me that even though the inhabitants of the promised land seemed invincible, Caleb knew his God. He knew that if this was the land that the LORD wanted them to have, then He would make it happen. I need to remember that. The LORD also reminds Aaron that even though he will not have land, "I am your share and your inheritance among the Israelites." (Numbers 18:20) Sitting here, in front of my Bible, reading this verse, my heart is shouting that it's enough. But is it really? Do I act like it is or do I want more? More things, more stuff? Something to ponder.

I'll close this weeks reading with my JESUS. Balaam's fourth oracle says, "A star will come out of Jacob; a scepter will rise out of Israel."(24:17) Once again, in the midst of turmoil, there's hope. His promise. What a blessing. To me, there's nothing sweeter than reading along and finding Him. May your week be filled with glimpses of Him as well.

4 comments:

  1. Loved your recap! What is so awesome that even when we find humor, God has a message for us. May we hear when He speaks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right. How quickly we fall into sin and forget the lesson--or maybe I never learn it. I know there always is a moral to the story, so now I look for it in my own life. So easy to see it in others--silly Israelites. Yet in my own, I trip up so easily. Your way of telling a story always makes me smile or cringe. It's just good. Love, Annette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still reading, just not writing....

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was much more meat in the readings than I expected. I see myself veering off the path, falling into sin, not doing what the Lord has required of me.

    ReplyDelete